Permaculture is an environmental design science that creates sustainable architecture, regenerative habitats and agricultural systems modelled from natural ecosystems. The basic principles teach you to work with nature, rather than against it. Its ethics are rooted in caring for the Earth, caring for people, and sharing resources fairly.
Since its inception, our permaculture team have achieved great headway in the restoration of biological and cultural diversity at Eco Venao.
Currently the project consists of fruit, vegetable, a robust composting system, grey water recycling system, an African bee farm, composting toilets with wood chips, amazing plants and a lot of fun.
We constantly receive students to share knowledge and efforts. The French institute AgroParisTech is also involved in our project and sends us more students every year.
We still have some pretty ambitious plans for our Permaculture project here at Eco Venao. In the coming years we will be working towards:
- building out a diverse tropical fruit forest
- providing organic food for the restaurant
- hosting a Permaculture design course
- developing a waste recycling program for the entire resort
- designing a free-range egg producing chicken farm
- improving our worm nursery
- developing cheese production onsite from local cows
- exploring the creation of a local currency
- pursuing our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) membership
We are currently accepting Permaculture volunteer positions at Eco Venao for a 6-week minimum commitment. Volunteers would be working directly with the leader of the permaculture project Michael Carter, on several of the activities listed above. Please do get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org We would love to hear from you!